I'm retired now, where will my next adventure take me?

My photo
Kailua, Hawaii, United States
Anyone who knows me, knows that I love to travel. I've recently retired from working in education and now I hope to be able to travel a whole lot more. I plan everything myself for my trips and things usually work out. Sometimes not everything goes as planned though!

Monday, September 10, 2018

Two for One in Torre de la Mora

Today I left my campsite in Sitges,  but had to perform some tasks related to the campervan first. After a few days I was running out of water, I needed to dump the "gray water ", and empty the canister which holds the dreaded "black water". Well, I was dreading it anyway. Maybe everyone else enjoys the process now and again.  I have to say it wasn't really all that horrible, but I think it would be even less horrific if I hadn't watched, which I belatedly realized isn't really necessary to accomplish the task. Next time I'm only listening...

After that test of fortitude,  I set out towards Tarragona, the next stop on the adventure. It was an easy drive,  not far at all for this next leg. I arrived to discover that my new campsite is actually a resort, yet even less expensive than my last place. It has a huge pool complex, restaurant,  grocery store and even a laundromat.  When I arrived I checked in, paid a pittance and then a very nice gentleman took me on a golf cart to see my possible campsites. Pretty cool! The place is huge, literally hundreds of campsites, but it was nearly full so my tour was like six spots. I picked a spot not even 20 paces from the beach and can hear the waves crashing from my campervan. I'll sleep well tonight.

An interesting thing about the camping resort is that it actually contains an ancient watchtower within the grounds, perched on the edge of the sea. I don't know the history of it yet, but I'll let you know if I can find out. I know there are many more like it on the coast, but I don't remember if they are Moorish or Spanish. Guess I have homework to do! I think that must be the teacher in me...

The itinerary for the rest of the day was simple. It was two of my favorite activities rolled into one. I love a good beach, and a good hike, so what could be better than getting both? The hike was only 30 or 40 minutes from the Torre,  and through a nice pine forest. It could have been difficult to navigate,  but some kind soul has put red and white markers on trees and rocks all along the trail. Even so, I did miss one and had to retrace my steps, but only a few yards. The views are gorgeous,  and I passed another beach on the way. The coast is high cliffs, with the occasional little beach cove in their midst.

I found my beach, which is officially called Cala Fonda, but referred to by the locals as Cala Waikiki.  There  were a couple of surfers, but the waves were not cooperating since they were only a foot or  two high. They had some long, if gentle, rides though.  The beach was strewn with driftwood here and there,  and a little rocky in spots. As with most  Spanish beaches in spots like this, about half were in their suits and half were sans suits. I think all beaches should be like this. It gives people watching a whole new spin. I know you are wondering which half I was in...

I picked a nice spot at the end of the beach and settled in for the afternoon.  I had a little siesta, a snack and a wonderful day.

No comments: