I'm retired now, where will my next adventure take me?

My photo
Kailua, Hawaii, United States
Anyone who knows me, knows that I love to travel. I've recently retired from working in education and now I hope to be able to travel a whole lot more. I plan everything myself for my trips and things usually work out. Sometimes not everything goes as planned though!

Monday, September 10, 2018

It's a little Gaudi

My second day trip around Barcelona was to the village of La Colonia Guell. The village was created in 1890 by Eusebi Guell, an industrialist,  who wanted to improve the social conditions of workers. He built a village in the modernist design,  employing the best architects and artists, most notably Antonio Gaudi who designed the famous La Sagrada Familia church in Barcelona.  It was an industrial colony, providing the workers who were housed there with social and religious facilities in better conditions than most could have found elsewhere due to the economic conditions of the time. All overseen by the company of course! It was a successful venture which made textiles and operated up until the 1960's.

I took a walk through the village, stopping at the info center to pick up a map and buy a ticket to the most famous site in the village, the church designed by Gaudi. The town is well-preserved, looking much as it did in 1890. They are doing a good job of preserving the past, while continuing to use the buildings for new purposes. The town has a quaint,  sleepy feel to it and I enjoyed looking at the many buildings that Guell built.

The church designed by Gaudi has much in common with La Sagrada Familia,  although on a much smaller scale.  You can see how Gaudi used unusual pillars, glass and unexpected shapes to create the church. Gaudi's designs are definitely not for everyone, but all can appreciate their novelty at the least.

As I walked around town, I kept seeing what looked like the top of a castle, but couldn't find any reference to it on the map. I finally found my way near it and discovered there was no road or signs for it, but there was a trash strewn path that headed towards it.  I walked through the small wood and found what must have been a beautiful little castle at one time. Now it is falling down, attracting graffiti artists and partiers, who leave far too much evidence of their having been there. There was nothing to tell me about the buildings past, and definitely no preservation is being attempted.

Another fine day...

2 comments:

Laura Rogers said...

How Cool!!!!!

Anonymous said...

Beautiful and not too many tourists (I hope).