I'm retired now, where will my next adventure take me?

My photo
Kailua, Hawaii, United States
Anyone who knows me, knows that I love to travel. I've recently retired from working in education and now I hope to be able to travel a whole lot more. I plan everything myself for my trips and things usually work out. Sometimes not everything goes as planned though!

Friday, September 7, 2018

Moving day!

I was up at the far too early time of 3:45 am to be ready for my shuttle to the Ibiza airport and my 7 am flight to Barcelona.  Not fun. Thankfully not much more of that on this trip. Shuttle was perfectly on time and it was a quick trip to Barcelona. My luck with bags continues, my bag was first off! I had to wait at the airport until 9:45; the RV rental place doesn't open until 10 am. Perfect time for espresso and a slice of apple pie lol.

The rental company had given me written directions to their office to give to the taxi, which I did. He nodded and said he knew where it was. Off we went. I don't really know Barcelona all that well, but in about 5 minutes I was sure we were headed in the wrong direction. I pulled up a map and sure enough,  we are headed the opposite direction. I tell the driver, show him the map, he says "Yes, yes" and continues going the wrong direction! Then I have to start saying "No, no!", and pointing at my map. He finally gave in to my protests, looked at the map and I arrived at my destination for twice what it should have cost. A mistake? Just trying to fleece me? I will just have to let karma take care of it...

Renting the campervan took far longer than I had expected. The guy was really nice and very thorough. I won't complain, I also had a lot of questions.  We both had to use Google translate a few times, but his English was way better than my Spanish. The campervan is in pretty good shape, but the stuff that comes with it left much to be desired. So off I went to Ikea to freshen up the place. I bought linens, towels, a couple of rugs and even a couple of decor-matching placemats. It looks so much better.

By now it almost 2 pm and I still haven't been to the grocery store and still have over 3 hours to drive north to my first destination.  I decided to just start driving...but I'm kind of tired, hungry and beyond parched. I haven't gone 5 miles when I see a sign, make a quick decision, ignore the Google maps lady's protests, and throw out my much thought out travel plans, which actually feels pretty good and I busted out laughing! Instead of going north for 3 hours, I went south for a half hour to the beach town of Sitges where I am happily ensconced in my newly decorated and well organized campervan. I did the grocery run, spent two hours figuring out where to put stuff and had a hamberguesa con queso for my late afternoon snack at the camp restaurant. Muy bueno!

It started raining early last evening and I was treated to a nice nature show of thunder and lightning for several hours. As I sat and looked out at the deluge in my watertight domicile,  I felt really bad for the tent campers. Some of the tents collapsed from the water or were blown over. The poor people near me had a complete collapse of their much too big tent, and spent a very long time in the pouring rain and mud putting it back together!  I was watching Netflix...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nice van! You getting used sleeping in it?

Rick Thomas said...

It gets better all the time!