I'm retired now, where will my next adventure take me?

My photo
Kailua, Hawaii, United States
Anyone who knows me, knows that I love to travel. I've recently retired from working in education and now I hope to be able to travel a whole lot more. I plan everything myself for my trips and things usually work out. Sometimes not everything goes as planned though!

Tuesday, September 18, 2018

I Have That Alicante Feeling

When I was planning this trip down the Spanish coast I looked for things that would be interesting along the way. One thing that came up as I was looking up castles and fortresses (because who doesn't like that?) was the Castille Santa Barbara in Alicante. I didn't really look to see what else was in Alicante, just put it on my list of places I might go...or not.

After some minor misadventures that I had, and that I'll get around to in some other post about what it's actually like to do this, I ended up in Alicante. I took the Alicante tram from right next to where I was staying  (and a great little transportation system they have) to the Mercado station in the Old Town.  From the moment I stepped out of that station, I knew I was going to have a good day.

It was Sunday morning, and the streets were virtually empty for the next little while, as I walked through the tiny alleyways and past quaint plazas waiting for their people. The imposing Cathedral was still closed, and it gave me time to really admire the architecture and the city before I met its inhabitants.  I made my way down through town, beginning to see people getting out for their day. I wanted to do the Castille first thing, so I headed for its ascensor (elevator!), which a kind person at the camping facility had told me about. You pay only 2.70 Euros, and it saves a long and exhausting hike up the mountain. To get to the elevator you pass through a very long tunnel under  the mountain and Castille.

The castle was huge, and beautiful. There are fantastic views down to the Old Town, the Mediterranean and the surrounding mountains. I had a great time exploring the castle, but finally decided to walk down the mountain to see more of the city. I passed many red-faced tourists huffing and puffing their way up the steep incline and I had to wonder, did they know about the elevator? I hoped they actually chose the exercise, but doubted it! There was a great view of the bullring as I walked down and once again thought about whether I would go to a bullfight. I don't know...

I passed the Central Market, closed on Sundays, and then the columned front of the city theatre. I stopped at the square in front of city hall for a coffee at an outdoor cafe and watched the patrons peruse the flea market that had also set up shop there. I would have bought a really nice old ebony elephant, but one of its wooden tusks had been replaced with a toothpick. I decided against that purchase!

I stopped in at the now open Cathedral and took a quick look since services were starting. I walked around town some more and then stumbled upon the Esplanade de Espana. It is a palm-lined masterpiece, perfect for an afternoon walk or evening stroll. It was built in the 1860's and has 4 rows of palms to provide shade and most magnificently, it has over 6 and a half million tiles that form a red, black and white wave pattern meant to symbolize the Mediterranean waves. What is so amazing is that as you walk, it really looks like there are waves, with depth. Ok, it was cool...really cool.

The Castille was great, but what I will remember is the city. A picture postcard city that I could visit again...and hope to.

No comments: