I'm retired now, where will my next adventure take me?

My photo
Kailua, Hawaii, United States
Anyone who knows me, knows that I love to travel. I've recently retired from working in education and now I hope to be able to travel a whole lot more. I plan everything myself for my trips and things usually work out. Sometimes not everything goes as planned though!

Sunday, September 9, 2018

Getting high (up) in Monserrat

When I made the quick decision  to change my travel plans, I already had backup plans in place. I had planned a few different routes and then kept changing them. Fortunately,  on another version of the plans, I had a couple of places I really wanted to go. The first of these I visited yesterday, the Monasterio de Montserrat, which dates back to the 11th century. I knew it was perched on the side of a mountain, but it was far higher and more dramatically placed than I imagined,.

It was the perfect distance for a day trip and took me north of Barcelona into some beautiful scenery. The first thing I saw as I arrived at the base of the mountain surprised me. I didn't know there was a telerific, a cable car, that you could take to the top. It rises a very steep 4000 feet right to the Monasterio.  I knew there was a funicular, which normally gets me all excited (ask Tim) But this was even  better, after all who doesn't like dangling from a cable above a rocky mountain. Well, Tim for one. I was more than pleased to take the journey, which only lasts 7 minutes. But a very fun 7 minutes and you get to do it all over again as you leave, and the view is fantastic.

I was again surprised when I got to the top. It is far busier and has way more going on than you would think. There are only about 80 monks there (and apparently there have always been about that many, so says Wikipedia and you can always trust them), but there are restaurants,  a hotel, museums,  gift shops, and even a local  farmers market. I wandered about a bit and then decided to head to the main attraction, the basilica.  You walk up a bunch of steps and across a large courtyard and then enter a dramatic entrance that takes you to the front of the Cathedral. As I entered the church, I (almost literally) gasped at the  beauty of it.

I've been to a bunch of churches in Europe and I know a special one when I see it. It is dramatic, but yet somewhat simple and elegant in its design. There are stained glass windows depicting scenes from the life of Jesus in the side chapels, but each is to be admired separately as you can't really see them as you look to the front of the church. The lamps hanging down are little masterpieces themselves and even everywhere you look is simple, yet understated beauty. The pipe organ is enormous and beautiful at the same time. Most surprising to me was that when you are at the front of the church, and look towards the back, the view is no less dramatic.

One of the things this church is known for is that it houses one of the famous "Black Madonnas" of Europe, the Virgin of Montserrat.  You can see her high above the altar, and can even go up and see her closer if you are willing to stand in a line that rivals anything at Disneyland.  I just zoomed in on the camera and got a good enough look. I hate standing in lines.

I wandered around the rest of the complex, very pretty in its gardens,  arches and the like. I had passed the farmer's market earlier and walked back to see what the locals were producing. Tons of things with figs,  not really one of my favorites,  though they were pretty to look at and looked quite tasty if you are into figs. Also, lots of various nuts, but the star attraction of nearly every booth was cheese. Little wheels, big wheels and every shape and color of cheese. And they wanted you to taste it, all of it,  at every booth. It was a culinary feast of cheeses, and I was a willing participant.

None of the cheeses were bad, most were very good and a couple were so, so good. One was a goat cheese made with rosemary, but you could only buy it in a big wheel. A little much for one cheese lover. I finally settled on a cheese that reminds you of parmesan, but is softer and with a more delicate flavor. It is so good, the French lady next to me seemed to wholeheartedly agree, though I couldn't tell you what she actually said to me in French. I just said "oui, oui" and smiled.  She smiled back and we both bought the cheese.

It was a very nice day...