I'm retired now, where will my next adventure take me?

My photo
Kailua, Hawaii, United States
Anyone who knows me, knows that I love to travel. I've recently retired from working in education and now I hope to be able to travel a whole lot more. I plan everything myself for my trips and things usually work out. Sometimes not everything goes as planned though!

Thursday, July 10, 2008

Purisma Creek Redwoods Trail

This was an excellent hike! It had a lot of what I really like in a hike. It was a 7 mile loop hike, which is a good distance for an afternoon hike. It starts right off with a nice creek and a trail that heads gently uphill in a little valley filled with ferns and redwoods. There were quite a few other hikers at the beginning, but after a couple of miles I only saw a couple of other people the rest of the way.

Eventually the trail became smaller and followed a path along the wall of the valley. It was steadily uphill, but usually not too steep. That was good because it was hot that day. As it is, I was redfaced and just dripping with sweat by the time this hike was over. I did put in one picture of me, the rest I quickly destroyed!

The trail finally wound its way up through chapparal and out of the trees, where it was even hotter, but then finally headed downhill at a quick pace. At one point I was trying to get away from a couple of flies and started running downhill...but it was so steeply downhill I couldn't stop running for, I swear, a quarter mile. It wasn't dangerous, I was laughing most of the way! Finally the trail ended up in the redwoods again, by the stream. A nice way to end the hike.

After reading this back it doesn't sound like that great of a hike, but it was! Oh, and you'll notice several bridges. I really like how different they all are and as you will see in future hikes, I like taking pictures of them. Hope you like them too!

































101/0



No comments: