I'm retired now, where will my next adventure take me?

My photo
Kailua, Hawaii, United States
Anyone who knows me, knows that I love to travel. I've recently retired from working in education and now I hope to be able to travel a whole lot more. I plan everything myself for my trips and things usually work out. Sometimes not everything goes as planned though!

Sunday, March 3, 2019

Trek to Werrong

I found this place on my second trip to Sydney and it is the one spot I go back to every time I'm here.

Everything about this hike and beach is great. While it does take a bit of time to get to, that's really part of the fun. You catch a train at Sydney's Central Station and head south to a tiny little station on the way to Wollongong, called Otford. From Otford station you make a ridiculously steep climb up to a fire road, then walk a kilometer or so to the Otford Lookout, which is where you actually start the hike to the beach.

The hike is a steady downhill that isn't too difficult, but you have to be very careful of unsteady rocks and tree roots. Halfway down there is a clearing, which just appears out of the rainforest as if it was planned as a rest stop. On the way down, I don't always stop; on the way back up I always do! Eventually you begin to hear the sound of crashing waves and you know you are getting close to the beach.

Werrong is a relatively small beach at the bottom of a canyon, far below the cliffs above. There is a small stream and a little waterfall flowing through the beach area. There is natural grass above the sandy beach, short and soft as if it is on the green at a golf course. The beach is sandy, with areas of colorful rocks here and there.

The water is clear and you can ride the waves on one side, or relax in tidepools on the other side of the beach. This time there were maybe a dozen visitors to the beach all day,  spread out through the nooks and crannies of the beach. You always feel like it is just you and this beautiful beach, about as idyllic as anywhere could be.
























1 comment:

Laura Rogers said...

Now this is an adventure that tests your physical fitness each visit!