I'm retired now, where will my next adventure take me?

My photo
Kailua, Hawaii, United States
Anyone who knows me, knows that I love to travel. I've recently retired from working in education and now I hope to be able to travel a whole lot more. I plan everything myself for my trips and things usually work out. Sometimes not everything goes as planned though!

Monday, October 13, 2008

Muir Woods: Bootjack Trail

We've hiked a few times out at Muir Woods lately. I have finally sprung for the yearly pass because there are a lot of trails around there, and we like hiking in the redwoods. It was only $20, so its a bargain anyway. Either Tim or I can take a carload there anytime for the next year and no one pays. Not sure where we'd get a carload of hikers though! This was a good hike, around 8 miles I think. The uphill portion was mostly at the beginning, so the last half was mostly downhill. A very pretty stream is visible a lot of the time, with a couple of very small waterfalls that would be better in rainy season. The weird thing on this hike was the ladybugs. I had read in one of my guidebooks that sometimes you will see large numbers of ladybugs congregating near trails, but I wasn't quite prepared for seeing it! Tim and I felt like we were in some creepy horror bug movie...you couldn't walk without crunching bunches of them, though we tried not to! They were also flying all over the place in some spots, and they would land on us by the dozens. We just brushed them off once in a while and kept moving until we were out of ladybug territory!

























1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Lady bugs were very interesting, bought some earlier this year at McKee's Garden. They are suppose to fly during the day and I could see yours were not! I wondered where they would get the lady bugs and now I see it could be quiet easy in the right place. JT