I'm retired now, where will my next adventure take me?

My photo
Kailua, Hawaii, United States
Anyone who knows me, knows that I love to travel. I've recently retired from working in education and now I hope to be able to travel a whole lot more. I plan everything myself for my trips and things usually work out. Sometimes not everything goes as planned though!

Sunday, August 31, 2008

Russian River Canoeing

The weather hadn't been very good, so Tim and I took off to the Russian River at Healdsburg to go canoeing. We decided to take the longest trip, which had a stipulation that you had to reach the 2/3 mark by 3 pm in order to go on and finish the rest of the trip. The entire trip was about 16 miles downriver. It was a beautiful day on the river, weather was warm but not hot. Every time we came to a big curve in the river with rapids we ended up turning around backwards and going through them completely turned around! We went through lots of branches that way (mostly me), but we never turned over so we decided that was the just the way it was meant to be!

One thing on the trip was really annoying... when we left one of the guides made a comment that we "probably wouldn't make it all the way", when we ended up getting to the 2/3 spot FIRST (before like 25 younger people) the guy said that was "amazing, considering..." and then at the end they again seemed really surprised that we beat everyone else into the finish line. We're NOT that old...LOL

All in all... a very good day. Oh, and on the way home we stopped at the Premium Outlet Stores in Petaluma and went shopping!









No comments: