I'm retired now, where will my next adventure take me?

My photo
Kailua, Hawaii, United States
Anyone who knows me, knows that I love to travel. I've recently retired from working in education and now I hope to be able to travel a whole lot more. I plan everything myself for my trips and things usually work out. Sometimes not everything goes as planned though!

Wednesday, February 27, 2019

Coogee amd a Cathedral

The Bondi beach to Coogee beach walk is probably the most well known hike in Sydney. The track follows the shoreline, going up the cliffs and then back down to the beaches. I took this hike on my first trip to Sydney several years ago. The hike on that day is mostly remembered for its consequences.

It was a really blistering hot Sydney day, I talked to Tim before I went and he reminded me to stay hydrated. I kept that in mind the whole way on the hike. As I passed each beach park, I made sure to drink plenty of water at every fountain. I drank a LOT of water. I told Tim that evening how well I had followed doctor's orders lol.

The next morning I was up early and on a train to the Blue Mountains. Soon, I started feeling a little nauseous  then a lot  nauseous. Then I wasn't sure which would happen first, would I throw up everywhere or would I crap my pants before I could get off the train? Fortunately I managed to get off the train before any that happened. I spent most of the rest of the day visiting all the local bathrooms while feeling like I was going to pass out...but still trying to bushwalk through the National Park. Well meaning strangers kept asking me if I was ok...I kept telling them I was fine! I was clearly lying.

Anyway,  I learned a lesson. Even if you are visiting a nice and tidy foreign locale with clean, safe water, it has different bacteria, and if you drink gallons of it...you will pay.

Back to the present... I decided to go to Coogee beach and walk the hike in reverse to Bondi beach. It was pretty warm out but the hike seemed much easier this time. I think I'm in better hiking shape these days. They've also made alot of improvements to the track.

After I made it to Bondi beach  I took a bus to Watson's Bay where I went to the beach and ate my picnic lunch. Later I took the bus and train back to Town Hall station and stopped in at St. Andrews Cathedral for a look...another nice day in Sydney.
Coogee beach

St. Andrew's Church


Town Hall

Gordon's Bay

Up and down...


Clovelly beach

Clovelly pool

Clovelly Point

Shark Point

Waverly Cemetery


One of the notorious water fountains!

Bronte beach


Bronte beach

Tamarama beach

Mackenzie's Point

Bondi beach

Sandstone cliff

Icebergs Pool


Bondi beach

Camp Cove  beach

Lady Bay beach

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Didn't you know from past experience to not drink from public fountains?..